Gadsby

Uh, okay… Um, I’m a good…work…guy… — Lenny, “Burns’ Heir”

Carl’s caucasian cohort’s lipogramatic layoff draws from (or, is analogous to) a trial producing Gadsby, a 1939 fictitious work by an author guy of no import.

Gadsby’s driving gimmick, as shown northward, was to display a full 50,000-word story without a usually ubiquitous glyph making its mark. But what sort of plot might an author craft with such a limitation? Nothing grand, as shown by today’s critics.

With authority, though, Gadsby’s victory shows through not in its obligatory ladings, but in that craft of its packaging: an illustrious illustration of a masochistic task ran at by book jocks around our world.

Similar pursuits: a pilish, writing in which word-span must match pi’s unbound digitry. So…

3.14: Sit! I wait.

3.14159: Now a path I slash, strolling.

And, indubitably, anagrams:

Lisa Simpson > Miss So Plain

Disco Stu > Isco Stud

But, coming back to Gadsby’s ambitious art: its author said his folio was brought to fruition by striking that unsought symbol from his typing box and continuing onward without it, taking him all of six months to notch fifty thousand words. In comparison, today’s similarly-cast blog post, totaling hardly in surplus of two Franklins, took our mild curator a solid hour to finish.

So, to wrap up, I’m glad to find a conclusion.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in articles and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Gadsby

1. Nary a drop of said symbol in your dispatch! Huzzah!

2. Mike Amato says:

I see what you did there… Very impressive, and I learned something!

3. Jeanne says:

Hi Blog Guy,
    Why?? Why, oh why, would a man want to do such a thing??? 50,000 words!
    Good job with yours – only a solid hour lost for you. I had fun with it.

4. RP says:

Good work with “Carl’s caucasian cohort”, but it’s too bad you couldn’t switch the show’s titular quotation with “1F16” (without it looking odd).

5. Professor Taylor says:

I have a ball. Perhaps you’d like to bounce it.

6. mow mow says:

This is crazy! Can it do so with various symbols I and A, I ask?

7. Pingback: Fast Paced World | Springfield Historical Society @ mcgarnagle.com

8. whobetterthanjunior says:

We don’t need no stinking E!